Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Pear Salad with Hazelnut Orange Vinaigrette

I've said it before when developing my Summer Salad Series and I'll say it again: I am not a big fan of salads.  Contrary to what some may think, most salads are not that healthy.  Between the unhealthy ingredients and/ or the type of dressing used, some salads can actually have higher calories and higher fat content than a cheeseburger! This salad however, is not only healthy (depending on your protein choice), it also became one of the most delicious salads I've ever made.  I have adjusted this from a Scandinavian dish and really enjoy it as a starter dish to my Swedish Meatballs Family Dinner (Coming Soon!) or it makes a great light meal all by itself.
Ingredients:
2 Bosc pears
3/4 cup desired protein, sliced, julienne (I usually use salami, because of the blend of flavors as the first choice but for healthier versions I have also used deli slice ham, turkey or shredded roasted chicken breast)
2 bunches of Arugula
1 small red onion, diced

For Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup of hazelnuts
1/2 cup of orange juice, no pulp (I use the 50% less sugar juices)
zest from one orange or 1 tsp. of orange peel (seasoning)
1 garlic clove
1/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
  1. Wash pears, and cut in half (remove the core) and chop.
  2. Combine chopped pears, thinly sliced protein, washed Arugula and onion in a gallon plastic zip lock bag and set aside.
  3. Using a hand blender, combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette and blend until nuts are completely crushed and mixture is smooth.
  4. Pour vinaigrette over the salad mixture and seal bag.  SHake it vigorously until all slad contents are coated with vinaigrette dressing.
  5. Serve and enjoy..!

No comments:

Post a Comment